Saturday, February 2, 2008

Don Pablo’s Patron Eats Too Much, Gets Fired


MOORESTOWN, N.J.— Marcia Rumbaugh, receptionist at Chambers Marketing and Advertising on Flynn Ave., ate way too much for lunch at the Don Pablo’s restaurant on Nixon Drive yesterday afternoon.

“I had the taco salad with chicken, guacamole, sour cream, cheese and ranch dressing,” said Rumbaugh. “I ate the whole thing, plus a whole basket of tortilla chips and salsa beforehand.”

Upon returning to the office after lunch, Rumbaugh sat down at her desk and promptly unbuttoned her pants, claiming they were simply too tight after devouring 960 calories of meat, dairy and carbs.

When co-worker Laura Murray spotted Rumbaugh's unfastened button, she immediately reported it to the company's Human Resources Department.

“That’s just disgusting,” said Murray. “I had a half-pound cheeseburger and fries at Red Robin for lunch today, but you don’t see me sitting at my desk with my pants half off.”

When Human Resources Coordinator Veronica Jackson went into Rumbaugh's cubicle and told her that unbuttoned pants were inappropriate for work, Rumbaugh responded by pulling the zipper down, too.

“I thought she meant I shouldn’t just have the button undone, but that I should have the zipper unzipped, too,” said Rumbaugh.

Jackson told Rumbaugh to report to the president’s office immediately. When Rumbaugh got up from her chair, her pants fell down around her ankles.

“I walked into the president’s office, and he fired me on the spot just because my pants were around my ankles,” Rumbaugh told reporters. “That’s discrimination, and I don’t have to take it.”

The president of the company declined to comment.

No comments: